Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mom's Visit Part II

On Wednesday of last week, Mom and I went to check out the law school. So, here is a picture of me in front of my new, law school home at Duke.

After that we went over to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. The Gardens are located on the Duke campus free and open to the public. The picture above is of the fountain at the entrance building.

The gardens cover 55 acres, so we certainly didn't see all of it. We spent most of our time in the Terrace Gardens with rows of terraced plants leading to a pond of water lilies.

I took all of these photos with my phone, so the resolution isn't very high, but they came out pretty well.

Many of the plants in the terraced gardens are flowers and plants you could find down at your local Home Depot, but the overall effect was amazing.



It was fun to walk along and see the funny tall shrubs that we have in front of our house and learn that they are a Japanese Holly with the common name "Sky Pencil."

We walked back through the Culberson Asiatic Arboretum which was serene and lovely. Mom is actually off to the right in this picture. She would probably fly back to NC and kill me if I put a picture of her up here, so I cropped it.
The truth of the visit is that we only went to the gardens was because I had read that there was a cafe and thought it would be a nice place to have lunch. Once we got there we discovered that the cafe (really more of a sandwich kiosk) was deep in the Terrace Garden, so we went. It was a lovely accident.

No comments: