Friday, August 10, 2007

Arrrrghhh . . . Pirates

Well, so much has been going on, and so much is about to be going on that I don't think I'll ever get back to blog about Mom and my wonderful trip to Beaufort and New Bern. But here are some of the pictures we took.
This was the view out of our hotel window in Beaufort. The town is on more of an inlet than on the ocean, but it was beautiful.

This is the view off the main boardwalk in town. There were big beautiful boat all over the place. The strip of land you can see to the left in the photo is called Carrot Island. There is a small herd of wild horses that live over there. Just past Carrot Island is a larger island whose name I can't remember. On that island there is a large herd of wild Mustangs descended from the horses who were pushed off of the Spanish ships in a storm to lighten the load.
This is our tourguide on the Blackbeard tour of Beaufort. It was a blast. I think Mom and I were the only ones there without small children in tow.
This is a photograph of Blackbeard's house, the Hammock House. It was one of many houses he owned in port towns up and down the coast. At the time the water came much further into shore, and at high tide you could row a skiff right up to the front steps. If you have ever heard the story about Blackbeard's less than willing 13th wife, this is the house he left her in. The house is a private residence, so I couldn't get a good picture of the enormous tree in the back yard from which he hung the unfortunate girl.
On our way back, Mom and I stopped for a look at the crashing waves of the ocean at Atlantic Beach. It was hot outside, so we didn't stay too long, but I got this nice shot of the boardwalk.

No comments: