Saturday, July 21, 2007

Yummy Saturday

I promise this won't become a foodie blog, but I went back to the farmer's market this morning. I know. I know. I've already mentioned it about a million times. Anyway, I bought some more of that wonderful locally made cheese, a huge tomato and a bunch of other things. The tomato was so juicy that it made an actual puddle on my cutting board when I sliced it. I stopped by one stand with the most amazing smelling basil to buy some to go with my tomato. I was literally drawn to the stand by my nose. It was $1.25 for a bag of basil. I was picturing one or two sprigs of basil in a bag. I was wrong. It was a lot of basil. So, when I got home, I decided to make pesto. I've never made it before, but I had olive oil, tons of basil, walnuts and fresh garlic. It was surprisingly easy to make it in my little chopper. I added some honey, so there is a little sweetness to the savory taste.

I only kept a couple of ounces of pesto to put in the fridge. For the rest, I lined an ice cube tray with saran wrap and spooned some pesto in to make little frozen pesto cubes. Once they are frozen, I'll dump them in a freezer bag. We can just defrost them whenever we want. They should last for months and months.

The first picture is of the lunch I just ate. Toasted sourdough, cheese, tomatoes and pesto. Mmmmm. The second photo is a tiny cell phone shot of the baker's rack we got for the kitchen. It's a little more loaded down now, but I love how sleek and shiny it looks. It really closes the U-shaped kitchen area in and makes it feel like more a room and less of a pass through.

Off to work on the closet!

No comments: