Friday, July 13, 2007

A Whirlwind Week

We have been moving right from one thing to the next since we got back from Iowa.
I hardly know what day it is.

As I had been promising to do, I painted my study very, very green. We put together my World Market futon chair; it is incredibly comfortable. Bishop thinks so too, so there is a bit of black fur on the white cushions. We'll have to fix that with the Scraminal.

Last night I moved the bookcases and file cabinet into place and the room looks great! Now it is time to unpack all of those books. Someone (Brandon) is already teasing me about the inevitable alphabetization.

Brandon has been tearing apart the kitchen this week. Our house came with an absolutely wretched stainless sink that was only about 4" deep. It is amazing that I hadn't broken all of our wine glasses trying to wash them in it. We had already decided to replace the sink and I was trying to wash the wine glasses and big cook pot that were sitting on the counter to clear room for the project. After cleaning the big steamer pot and about halfway through the third wine glass, I heard the sound of water that wasn't coming from the faucet. It was the sound of water pouring out of the joint on the P-trap into the cabinet below. Brandon snaked the line and whatever had been sitting down there went the way of baby alligators.

We hadn't planned on replacing the garbage disposal. When Brandon removed the sink and disconnected it from the old disposal, we could suddenly see the toxic sludge that had been sitting for the last six months. It was as black as wet coffee grounds, but it smelled like rotting vegetables. It filled 2/3 of the disposal. We bought a new one.

So now, after two days of unexpected snags and revolting discoveries, we have a fantastic new deep sink and a brand new faucet.

Tomorrow, I plan on going to the Durham Farmers' Market. They have a great website with a produce calendar that tells you what produce is in season before you go. So, we'll go and buy local honey, cabbage, sweet potatoes and maybe green beans. I'm going to try to buy small quantities that we can easily eat in a week and go back next Saturday.

No comments: