Saturday, September 15, 2007

Lacking Perspective

Lately, my eyes have been excruciatingly tired by the end of each day. Law school isn't a good time to not take care of your eyes, so yesterday I went to the eye doctor to have my glasses checked. The doctor first took my glasses to measure the lenses and determine the current prescription. He checked the left lens and said, "Huh, there is nothing in this one." No big deal. I know that I have one near-sighted eye and one far-sighted eye, and I didn't remember what my prescription had been in January. So, then he checked the right lens and said "Hmm, nothing in this one either." He checked the lenses on two different machines and had the lab tech check them too. Nothing in either lens but the anti-reflective coating.

That's right, for the last 9 months, I have been wearing FAKE GLASSES.

The old prescription wasn't that strong, so it isn't that unbelievable that I didn't realize it. I had gone without them for a week while they changed the lenses. I can't explain how horrified, angry and embarrassed I was. The poor optometrist was really nice about the whole thing. He said he'd seen glasses before that weren't the prescription that they were supposed to be, but they had never seen a pair that just didn't have anything.

Today, I went and picked up my old glasses with my new lenses. It was an incredible transformation. I have been living in a haze for nine months.

The woman who fit my glasses when I picked them up today laughed but said it wasn't the worst she'd seen. She once helped a woman who had been wearing glasses for a year with the bifocal lenses upside down .

2 comments:

JaR said...

That is amazing! I am so glad I read this today because it made me laugh outloud after the many conversations we have had about your glasses. :-) Mom

JaR said...

Obviously not me, nor my name. I was helping Dr. Baer setup a blog one time and must have her profile mixed with my address.